Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cosmic Drive

There's a little road in Tempe that I love to take to avoid traffic. Hardy Drive runs through a residential area where there are a ton of little streets intersecting it. All these streets have interesting names and are grouped together by some common theme. For example, there's a collection of them that refer to major universities, Duke, Oxford, Harvard, etc. Another series is of women's names, Janice, Julie, and others. My favorite is the small and really random collection of constellation names or astrological signs.


These can be found while heading south on Hardy Dr. just before Guadalupe Rd. My best friend used to live in Tempe and I would always take the short cut and be greeted by Scorpio Drive. The million times that I have passed that street I've always wanted to pull over and take a photo. Today I actually went out of my way to go there and take a photo. If it weren't for this blog, I may never have done that. It makes for a happy Scorpio.

Also, I'm quite curious as to why whoever named the streets picked the particular names. Not every constellation was used, only Pisces, Gemini, Libra, and Scorpio. Two air signs and two water signs, interesting.

No comments: